A person who had recently returned from South Korea has become the first Nottingham city resident to be diagnosed with coronavirus.
Nottingham City Council made the announcement on Friday morning (March 6), saying close contacts of the person were now being traced.
The city’s director of public health, Alison Challenger, said the risk to the general public remains ‘low’ despite the diagnosis.
“The local authority is working with health colleagues to do everything we can to stop the virus spreading and ensure the people of Nottingham are protected,” she said.
As of Thursday (March 5) 18,083 people have been tested in the UK, of which 17,968 were confirmed negative and 115 were confirmed as positive.
Around the world, around 95,000 cases have been confirmed and 3,282 people have died since the virus emerged in China late last year.
Typical symptoms of coronavirus include fever and a cough that in some cases may progress to a severe pneumonia causing shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
Generally, coronavirus can cause more severe symptoms in people with weakened immune systems, older people, and those with long-term conditions like diabetes, cancer and chronic lung disease.
But the vast majority of people are expected to have only a mild to moderate illness which can be treated at home.
NHS Advice – how to avoid catching or spreading coronavirus
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards
- try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- More information is available on the NHS website
Dr Fu-Meng Khaw, Centre Director, Public Health England East Midlands, said: “Public Health England is contacting people who had close contact with one of the latest confirmed cases of COVID-19. The case is a resident of Nottingham city and recently returned from South Korea.
“Close contacts will be given health advice about symptoms and emergency contact details to use if they become unwell in the 14 days after contact with the confirmed case or cases. This tried and tested method will ensure we are able to minimise any risk to them and the wider public.”
Ms Challenger added: “Good hygiene is the best prevention and there are some simple steps you can take to protect you and your family by washing your hands regularly and thoroughly and if you cough, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue.”
She said previous advice – that those who have have recently been to one of the affected areas and is feeling unwell should phone the NHS 111 helpline for further advice – still stood.
Anyone who suspects they have the virus should not go to their doctor or to hospital – but should contact NHS 111 first.
Friday’s announcement follows the conformation of three cases in Derbyshire earlier this week.