A deli counter at a Nottinghamshire Asda served ‘completely raw’ chicken to a customer who then suffered from ‘abdominal cramps’ after eating a piece without realising.
Charley Richardson, 22, from West Bridgford, posted on Twitter images of the chicken thighs she says was served to her on Sunday (May 14).
She Tweeted that she was offered £50 compensation and accepted it but thought the amount ‘really doesn’t cut it’.
Speaking to Notts TV, Charley said: “I went to Asda in West Bridgford yesterday and bought four chicken thighs to share with my boyfriend on a salad.
“I ate the first one and thought it seemed a little slimy.
“I then went to the second piece, pulled back the skin and saw that it was totally and utterly raw.”
Charley then said she and her boyfriend then went back to Asda with the chicken.
She said: “I informed them that not only was the chicken raw but the lady who served us was also wearing no gloves.
“The deputy store manager went on to tell me that she would launch a full investigation and offered me £50 on a gift card.
“Money is not the point, the point is that I could have almost died and if they don’t change the way things are done on the food counter, so could many other people.
“The £50 was to be shared between me and my boyfriend, so £25 each after they almost killed me is just unacceptable.
“I did accept the money and the store manager has agreed to meet me tomorrow (Tuesday May 15), however I’m not sure what he could possibly say that could make this okay.
“I just want to make the people who shop there aware of this; the pictures are absolutely grim and I wouldn’t want this to happen to anyone else.”
A spokesperson from Asda: “We take complaints of this nature very seriously and would like to apologise to Ms Richardson for the upset caused.
“As soon as this was brought to our attention we checked all of our other chicken which were all fully cooked so we are at a miss to understand how this could have happened.
“We would like to reassure all of our customers that we maintain the highest food safety standards and are confident this is an isolated incident.”