RSPCA called in after three suspicious cat poisonings in Mansfield

A Mansfield cat which died after drinking anti-freeze could have been poisoned deliberately, the RSPCA is warning.

The three-year-old tabby named Bo died from kidney failure four days after falling ill at her home in Forest Town.

Her owner Kevin Willis called in inspectors as he believes two of his other cats which died in the last 12 months were also poisoned.

Mr Willis, 60, said he took Bo to the vets after she became lethargic on Friday, September 18.

He said: “Sadly her kidneys had failed – the damage had already been done. She passed away on the Monday – just four days later.

“I am very concerned, especially as I have two other cats and I do not want the same thing to happen to them. I can’t always monitor my cats so I don’t always know where they are going when they are out.

“It is very upsetting for us and I want to get to the bottom of who is doing this.”

Poisoning is a criminal offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, with punishment ranging from up to six months in prison to a maximum fine of £20,000.

RSPCA inspector Keith Ellis said: “We would advise cat owners to regularly check their cats and be extra vigilant.

“If they see any of these signs: sleepiness, vomiting, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, breathing difficulties, dehydration, not eating or seizures then they must seek veterinary help immediately.”

Last year Sherwood MP Mark Spencer raised the problem of deliberate cat poisoning in parliament after around 22 cats died in suspicious circumstances in Calverton.

(Visited 35 times, 1 visits today)