The Trust that runs QMC and City Hospital have announced that they will leave their current cleaning contractors Carillion.
Hospitals bosses say that they ‘continue to be concerned about the performance of the contract’ after ‘serious conerns’ were raised last month.
Carillion employ around 1,500 people and are responsible for providing support services such as car parking, catering, cleaning, laundry, linen and security.
The contract has been in place since April 2014 and is worth £200m per year.
Campaign group Keep Our NHS Public (KONP) lodged a protest against Carillion when the Trust Board met last Thursday (November 24) with a giant rat.
We are jointly exploring a managed exit from the Carillion contract
Chief executive of the Trust Peter Homa said: “The NUH Trust Board has decided that significant changes to the arrangements with Carillion are required.
“NUH and Carillion are jointly exploring a managed exit from the Carillion contract and we are commencing discussions to determine next steps.
“Estates and Facilities staff will remain employed by Carillion until such time as future arrangements are agreed by both parties, which we anticipate to be January 2017.
“We will continue to keep our patients, partners and external stakeholders informed as there are further developments.”
Notts TV contacted Carillion who said they ‘have not got anything to add to the information published.’
KONP’s Mike Scott has welcomed the decision.
He said: “This is great news for patients and staff at the Nottingham hospitals.
“Carillion have been given innumerable ‘last chances’ to resolve the problems they themselves have caused and have shown time and again that profit comes before patients.”