Mum of Sneinton man murdered mourning his friend says he was an ‘inspiration’

Junior Fuller, left, and Dwayne Johnson, right.

The mum of a Sneinton man who was murdered while celebrating the life of a friend who had died says he was an ‘inspiration’ and ‘liked by everyone he met’.

Junior Fuller, 38, was stabbed three times at his home in Mill View Close, Sneinton, by Dwayne Johnson, 29, of Lammas Gardens, The Meadows, on December 11 last year.

Johnson was convicted of Mr Fuller’s murder on Monday (July 24) following a trial at Leicester Crown Court. He was sentenced to at least 21 years behind bars on Tuesday.

Mr Fuller had spent the afternoon celebrating the life of a friend, Martin Maughan, who died in Sneinton the day before, then invited friends back to his home.

Leicester Crown Court was told Johnson stabbed Mr Fuller three times to his chest, puncturing his heart and lungs, after they were involved in an altercation in Mr Fuller’s back garden.

Speaking after the sentencing, Junior’s mother Anne said: “Junior was an inspirational part of our family. He had such an enthusiastic personality and was liked by everyone he met. His bright smile will remain in our memories forever.

“Not only did we lose our son and brother, three young children have lost their father.

“We are pleased that the jury saw through Johnson’s lies and reached its guilty verdict. Whilst no length of sentence will ever repair our loss, we take some comfort that he will be spending a long time behind bars. We will hold the memory of Junior in our hearts forever to help us get through this terrible nightmare.”

Johnson had denied the murder but was found guilty by a jury following a trial.

He was seen walking back into the kitchen after the incident and then left the house.

Witnesses described Mr Fuller coming back into his house saying he’d been stabbed. He later died from his injuries despite efforts to revive him.

The court was told the previous night (December 10, 2016) Mr Fuller had gathered with some friends at two pubs in Sneinton to celebrate the life of Mr Maughan, who had been killed the night before.

Some of the pub-goers were later invited back to Mr Fuller’s house to carry on the celebration. Johnson attended the address later.

Speaking after the sentencing Detective Inspector Justine Wilson said: “Junior’s death has left his family, friends and the community devastated. It was a senseless and vicious attack and I’m glad that Johnson is now off the streets and will be spending a very long time in prison.

“Today’s result will never come near to easing the pain and anguish suffered by Junior’s family. I can only hope it has brought some justice to Junior’s loved ones and provides reassurance to the community to know that this man is behind bars.

“I would like to recognise the family’s dignified manner throughout this emotional trial. I’d also like to thank the jury for their diligence and also give recognition to the investigation team for their tenacity and attention to detail.”





(Visited 566 times, 1 visits today)