Crucial Broadmarsh demolition funding decision ‘by end of the year’

Pictures of the intu Broadmarsh, from the roof of the new car park, bus station and library before work was halted, and before social distancing measures were introduced. Picture: Kit Sandeman

By Matt Jarram, Local Democracy Reporter


Nottingham City Council may have to wait until the end of the year to find out whether it has been successful with a £20 million Government bid to demolish the former Broadmarsh shopping centre.

The demolition of the decaying shopping centre is a key part of the council’s vision to attract developers and build ‘a mixed use’ scheme on the site.

It has already secured funding to demolish the western end of the shopping centre near to Maid Marian Way.

But it wants a £20m Government bid to demolish the rest of the site and to fit out the new Central Library close by.

The Broadmarsh was due to be transformed into a major entertainment and shopping venue by Intu before the company fell into administration in June 2020.

Plans included a new cinema, bowling alley and restaurants.

The collapsed company handed the site back to Nottingham City Council, which set up an advisory group and asked the public for their ideas on how the site should be developed.

Urban designer, Thomas Heatherwick and property development firm, Stories, are currently onboard and coming up with a framework that appeals to investors. The vision is due to unveiled in the Autumn.

Cllr David Mellen (Lab), leader of Nottingham City Council, told the Local Democracy Reporting Service in August a decision on whether the council had been successful with its bid would be made in October.

In an update on Monday (October 11) The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Committees has now said the decision will be made “before the end of the year”.

Cllr Mellen said in August: “That site is not going to be easy to develop while there is a half-demolished shopping centre there and we need to clear it so it can be a space.

“It is the size of Wembley Stadium. It is a big space, and no one wanted Intu to go into administration, but it has given the council another chance to look at that space.”

The council has said that if the Government bid is unsuccessful, it will look for other funding avenues to ensure the site is demolished.

The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Committees said: “We expect to announce the successful bidders to the Levelling Up Fund before the end of the year.”

Cllr Kevin Clarke, leader of Nottingham Independents at Nottingham City Council, said: “Where are they going to get the funding from if it is not from Government?

“I think they will get the funding, especially when the Government find out what it is for, whether it is the full amount is questionable.”

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)