Video: Children at Blue Bell Hill Primary School celebrate with a giant garden party
Communities all around Nottinghamshire are getting ready to take part in nationwide celebrations for the Queens 90th Birthday this weekend.
Her Majesty celebrated her actual 90th birthday on April 21, but this weekend is a three-day celebration for her official birthday.
Around 70 Nottinghamshire applications have been made for temporary road closures for residents to organise street parties.
Councillor Kevin Greaves, chairman of the Council’s transport and highways committee, said: “People seem to have new-found enthusiasm for community events such as street parties and I hope the weather is kind to everyone planning one for this weekend.”
And it’s not just street parties being thrown for the Queen’s big day, with Blue Bell Hill Primary School, St Ann’s, throwing one of their own.
Pupils were even visited by the Deputy Lord Lieutenant, one of Her Majesty’s representatives.
Director of business and community at the school, Nic Williams, said: “The Queen is the head of our state and she is an important person, so it is important that our children understand who they are and the culture of Great Britain and it doesn’t matter what faith you are, or what religion, the Queen is the head of state and we can enjoy it and celebrate with her.”
Things to do this June in Nottingham to celebrate the Queens 90th Birthday:
- Saturday, 11 June: Great British Birthday Bash at the Aegon Open – A fabulous day to enjoy top class women’s tennis at Nottingham Tennis Centre as a backdrop to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday and all things British.
Things to do on the day:
- Frances Quinn from the Great British Bake Off will make tennis themed cupcakes
- Meet the ‘Queen’ and take a selfie
- Make your own crown – craft activities for kids
- Take a picture with the Davis cup
- Live music
- Saturday, 11 June: FREE tea party in Wollaton – Why not celebrate the Queen’s 90th Birthday with a bouncy castle, face painting, cake and more. The tea party can be found outside the shops on Bramcote Lane, NG8 2QP.
- Sunday, 12 June: A ‘Street Party’ at Ye Olde Bell – Enjoy a delicious Sunday lunch for just £27 per person with under 8’s eating for free.
- Sunday, 12 June – 5pm: A Right Royal Picnic at Activeace Arena, The Park
Celebrate by bringing your own picnic and enjoy live music, kids activities, a bar and the Park Bake-Off competition. Tickets are £6, under 16 and over 89 FREE.
- Sundays in June
Every Sunday morning in June, the free tours of the Council House will focus on the Queen’s visits to Nottingham, and there will be royal memorabilia and gifts to see in the Council House.